Comrades, we need a thread on privacy. Any decent activist should try ways of staying anonymous on the web and prevent being tracked by governments and corporations.
* Use free software as much as you can.
* Use GNU/Linux and keep it up-to-date, to be sure that you don't have unpatched security exploits
* Don't use Flash Player, use youtube-dl instead for watching streaming videos online
* Do not use Google, use DuckDuckGo or StartPage instead
* Use a password manager like Keepass or for GNU/Linux users keepassx. Create new passwords for every site that you visit and use a strong password as a master password. A tip for easy remembering of your master password is to use a sentence. "i fucking love cookies and tits!" with extra capital characters etc. is easier to remember than some random characters and long enough to prevent brute force attacks of any kind.
* Use the Tor Browser Bundle if you really want to stay anonymous.
* Go to Preferences -> History and set History to "Never remember history".
* See for additional tweaks: https://github.com/amq/firefox-debloat
* Use uBlock Origin for preventing tracking etc. Bonus: use hard-mode to manually whitelist external domains on sites. Don't use uBlock but be sure to use uBlock Origin https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Blocking-mode:-hard-mode
* HTTPS Everywhere
* DecentralEyes: prevents CDN hosting from tracking you (Google for Jquery etc.)
* Self Destructing Cookies: only allow cookies that you choose to allow
* Encrypt your hard drive or home partition at least
* If you use GNU/Linux, you can try to restrict systemd or syslog from logging.
* Use a distribution which takes security seriously. Also, be sure that you don't install a lot of things outside the repository. It will cover most of your needs.
Real life tips=
* Pay with cash if you can
Feel free to provide tips to each other comrades!
94 posts and 8 images omitted.